Monday, May 24, 2010

.:. Lemon Meringue....soup? .:.

Hola!

On Sunday Moof and I spent the day at my best friend's/ adopted family's house. We spent the day talking, laughing and lazing around by the heater. We ate some yummy dips with warm Turkish bread and tasty spinach and haloumi parcels bought from here.  

To top the day off we attempted to make Lemon Meringue Pie using fresh lemons from the garden. Now I can't really take all of the blame credit here because my mum and my bff (aka eggplant) did most of the hard work.  I can't say it was a great success, but it was a fun journey nonetheless...here's how it played out:


The recipe book: 'Cookery The Australian Way' printed in 1966. 
Interesting side note- there is a recipe for Gruel in this book...Oliver Twist eat your heart out!!


Promising, if not a little rustic.


Golden brown, fluffy and just begging to be munched on...


The end result....a strange, sloppy mess

As you can see from the pictures, the pie wasn't a complete success. The base was a little salty, the curd was tangy and delicious but didn't set, and it ended up forming a 'soup' in the bottom of the dish. To top it all off (ha!) the meringue wasn't nearly sweet enough. In the end we all decided that it was "edible". We also joked that it could be served as dessert at a dinner party where 'Gruel' was served for dinner...mmm tasty!

How about you? Had any culinary disasters lately?

x
.:. Rondy .:.

P.S Hello  to my new followers and commenters, a big welcome to you! You make my day :D

6 comments:

Fourth Daughter said... [Reply to comment]

Looks delicious! My grandma used to make lemon meringue pie... it will always have a place in my heart! Your cat looks so cute, by the way...

anne maskell said... [Reply to comment]

At least you tried, and had fun doing it! My last failure was a batch of scones. They usually turn out light and fluffy, but these ones could have been hockey pucks! I found you at 'Mike's'!

Two Tuesdays said... [Reply to comment]

The curd is always the best bit, even if soupy! I'm impressed

call me Rondy... said... [Reply to comment]

@Fourth Daughter
Grandmas make the best food, don't they? I miss mine :) Thanks for taking the time to say hello!

call me Rondy... said... [Reply to comment]

@anne maskell

Oh Anne, I know exactly what you mean, I too recently made a batch of scones that didn't quite turn out. I'm pretty sure that they could've been used as a weapon, they were so hard! Thanks for stopping by :)

call me Rondy... said... [Reply to comment]

@Two Tuesdays

Agreed! I licked the curd bowl clean! Thanks for saying howdy, come again soon :D

Post a Comment

I love it when you say hi :)