Friday, July 16, 2010

.:. I'm no Master Chef but my scones "rock" .:.


hola!
I've finally succeeded at making a decent batch of scones. Up until a few weeks ago, every time I tried to make them they came out so flat and so hard you could use them as a Frisbee and have someones eye out. So, I typed "why are my scones like rocks" into Google and I learnt exactly what I was doing wrong. Here is my recipe, along with the tips I picked up from the interwebs:

.:.
2 Cups self-raising flour
1 Tbsp butter (softened)
2/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
1 tsp sugar
.:.

-Preheat oven to very hot (220˚c for conventional oven)- 
-Sift flour, add sugar-
 -Use fingers to rub in butter to achieve fine breadcrumb texture-
-Pour in milk and cream- 
-Form mixture into soft dough being very gentle-
-Turn on to floured board and press out dough gently to 2cm thick-
-Use cutter or a glass to cut out scones-
-Place scones closely together on flat baking tray- 
-Bake for 10-12 minutes-

.:.
TIPS

-Don't use a rolling pin to roll out the dough-
-Don't knead the dough, just roughly form it-
-Use a bit of cream in your recipe-
-Place them on the tray side-by-side so they're touching-
-Bake them in a very hot oven for a short time-
.:.

Voila! There you have it, a recipe for scones that won't break a window if you throw them at one (just sayin'...). For the record, I ate like 6 scones with masses of jam and cream from the batch in the above photo. Yep, I'm greedy and kinda on the chunky side :)

Rondy

1 comments:

Katyha said... [Reply to comment]

I have a good recipe too! with lemonade...they are so yummy & fluffy. 4 cups SR flour, pinch of salt, 300ml cream, 375ml lemonade. You MUST try them...they are delish ;)

Post a Comment

I love it when you say hi :)